UK Marriage Visa

Marriage visa also know as Spouse Visa allows the spouse of a British citizen or a person with an Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), refugee or humanitarian protection to join or remain with their spouses in the UK.

This type of settlement visa allows a foreign national to live with their spouse in the UK for up to 30 months, after which a further extension of 30 months visa should be applied for as long as the requirements can be met. This visa category will lead to an Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) after 5 years.

The UK Marriage visa rules requires Non-European nationals applying from outside the UK to obtain their marriage visa before travelling to the UK.

UPDATE: changes to minimum income requirement for marriage visa uk

Recent changes to immigration law mean that the Home Office must now take into consideration specified circumstances if the UK spouse does not currently meet the minimum income threshold. After 10th August 2017, decisions for marriage visa applications must take into consideration other methods of financing. This might include self-sustainability, continued financial support from a ‘third party’ or prospective employment in the UK. These changes will offer some hope for those who have previously had their marriage visa rejected, or those who have put off applying.

If you wish to know more about how this recent change in the law applies to you, feel free to contact us on 0203 105 8094 or drop us an email on Alternatively, you can complete our enquiry form and we will get in touch with you.

Why choose UK Visa Xpats for your marriage visa?

At UK Visa Xpats we understand the different complications that often occur whilst applying for a marriage visa. Our dedicated and highly rated immigration department consists of seasoned immigration lawyers all of whom have a wealth of knowledge and experience in making successful applications through the marriage visa route.

Our immigration lawyers:
  • Have a strong track record of success with marriage visa applications
  • Understand the changing landscape of the British immigration system and are quick to respond to policy updates that can benefit our clients.

Hard Facts – Visa refusals have risen by some 18%. That’s one application in six. It is vital an application meets all the requirements needed by the immigration authorities or it will be refused. Do you know what they are?

If you need support with your marriage visa, why not contact our team of experienced immigration lawyers who can make a difference between a successful and an unsuccessful self-application.

Our network of lawyers offers expert help with your marriage visa application, we help thousands of applicants like you, every year.

Our service is unique and totally tailored to you. Our lawyers will be your personal lawyer. From your first contact with us, you will be given a clear and honest assessment of your case.

Call now on 0203 105 8094, we are waiting to help you.

What are the marriage visa requirements?

The four main requirements to be met are:
  • Prove of genuine and subsisting relationship between the applicant and the sponsor;
  • Meeting the financial requirements (currently a minimum of £18,600 gross annual income);
  • Meet the English language requirement; and
  • Meet accommodation requirement.
Other requirements:
  • The applicant and their sponsor must have met each other;
  • The applicant and their sponsor must be at least 18 years of age;
  • The applicant must be of good character;
  • The applicant and their sponsor should intend to live permanently together in the UK as a couple.

If you demonstrate by way of evidence that you meet all the requirements for a marriage visa, you will be given permission to enter or stay in the UK for an initial period of at least 30 months.

You will need to apply for a renewal/extension of your initial marriage visa before it expires and a successful consideration of your application will result in being granted a 30 months visa.

After a 5 year period, you can apply for settlement (ILR) in the UK. Alternatively, you may be eligible to apply under the less stringent 10 year route which overlooks the financial and English language requirement, although you will need to show insurmountable obstacles to family life with your spouse continuing overseas.

Switching from your current visa to a marriage visa category

Switching visas in the UK is when someone who currently has a valid visa decides to switch to being in a different visa category. One of the options is switching to a marriage visa where the proposed applicant is married to a British Citizen, a person with an Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), refugee status or humanitarian protection.

Migrants who are currently in the UK with a valid visa for a period of more than six months and married to a British national, a person with an indefinite leave to remain, refugee status or humanitarian protection can apply to switch into a marriage visa category from inside the country.

Can I renew or extend my marriage visa

A foreign national spouse who was last granted a marriage visa, should be able to apply for a renewal or extension of their marriage visa provided their marriage is subsisting and other requirements of the immigration rules are met.

Please note that if your marriage visa application was granted prior to 9th July 2012, your extension application will be considered in line with Part 8 of the Immigration Rules. However, if your marriage visa application was granted on or after 9th July 2012, your extension application will be considered in line with Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules.

It is also important to note that marriage visa applications which are considered under Appendix FM as mentioned above would be subject to meeting the financial requirements which involves showing an annual income of at least GBP 18,600 before tax.

What happens if your relationship ends?

If you are separated or divorced from your spouse, it is important to let the Home Office know as soon as possible as this can have an impact on your future visa applications. There are options available for you to stay in the UK, but it is important to act quickly.

How do I apply for a marriage visa?

Applying for a marriage visa can be complex and using the services of an immigration expert is highly recommended. UK Visa Xpats has an excellent track record with marriage visa cases and our lawyers are highly experienced in this field. Get in touch with UK Visa Xpats today for friendly, no obligation advice from the professionals.

What happens if your marriage visa is refused?

If you receive a letter saying your marriage visa is refused, you will need to act quickly in order to appeal the decision or apply for another visa. Overstaying on an expired marriage visa can be very problematic and should be avoided.

UK Marriage visa lawyers London

Our team of professional immigration lawyers with several years of experience in this field are waiting to help you. Call us today on 0203 105 8094 or drop us an email on Alternatively, you can complete our enquiry form and we will get in touch with you.